Thursday, May 23, 2013

Little Bird

Today was Gavin's last class in the Mountain School 3's class! I still can't believe it. Next year will be his LAST year at Mountain School!

Today was extra special because Grandma got to come...it was the first time she got to see the outdoor classroom, and Gavin was SO excited to take her. They did a hike up the creek, played on the big fallen redwood tree, and made ice cream together. It was a very fun day.

During circle time, Teacher Angie gave each of the kids a special birthday candle, so we could sing happy birthday to all the summer birthdays. He thought this was so special, and smiled ear to ear the entire time. There were LOTS of summer birthdays!

At the end of class, we all joined hands in a huge circle. Teacher Angie explained that at the beginning of the year, the children were like little birds...and she reminded them of the story she often told about the little birdie that gets a little sad when its mother leaves, but the mother ALWAYS comes back. No matter what. All the kids who used to get sad when mommy left, loved this story...and they often talk about it. Today, The children are still like little birdies, but they get to fly, and they get to fly to their next class. I am probably not telling the whole story, but all the kids were fascinated. We sang to each child...and as their name was called, they broke free from holding hands, and they ran in between everyone's windows (The space between the people under the hands). This is what we sang:

Gavin, Gavin, fly through my window,
Gavin, Gavin, fly through my window,
Gavin, Gavin, fly through my window,
And on to your next class.

***This song is a spin off of Elizabeth Mitchell's "Little Bird" and we know and love this song a lot. Fits so well. 

Little bird, little bird, 
Fly through my window, 
Little bird, little bird, 
Fly through my window, 
Little bird, little bird
Fly through my window, 
And find molasses candy.

Through my window, 
My sugar lump, 
Fly through my window, 
My sugar lump, 
And find molasses candy.

-Who knows a bird?
-Me! Chickadee! 
-What's a chickadee say?
-chchchchchch

Chickadee, chickadee, 
Fly through my window, 
Chickadee, chickadee, 
Fly through my window, 
Chickadee, chickadee, 
Fly through my window, 
And find molasses candy.
-Elizabeth Mitchell

A lot of the kids did not want to run, and stayed holding hands...but some LOVED to run....and Gavin was one of the kids who LOVED to run! He was last, and he waited so patiently...and he RAN! He smiled so big, and was laughing....so so happy....and so free. Lisa (Ryan's mom) really did capture on camera how happy he was. Pictures I will cherish forever. 

I just can't describe how wonderful this "school" experience has been. I know it sometimes sounds corny, but honestly, it has just been amazing. The school, the atmosphere, the teachers, the other parents, the great kids, everything. I really am so glad we did this and look forward to next year when he does so much more...then again when Austin heads to school! 







No comments:

Post a Comment