Thursday, February 16, 2012

One week with Austin

Baby Austin is one week old as of 4:54am tomorrow morning! While I can't believe that it has been a whole week....I also feel like it has been 6 months. I guess thats what happens when you get zero sleep for so many nights.

Right now, Austin is sleeping soundly right next to me, in my bed, where he has been since he was born. GASP, yep, co-sleeping is what he has been doing, and it has been working out so much better so far. Oh, AND he is on his tummy....I know, breaking all the "rules" but its OK. I know he will not sleep in this bed forever, probably only a little while longer, until he can go longer stretches without nursing. But for now, when he wants to nurse so frequently, it makes sense. Plus he sleeps SO much better on my chest, skin to skin. He is a newborn...I think this is what he is supposed to do. So for now, I will enjoy this one on one snuggle/sleeping pattern, as it will not last much longer.

Austin's mood has changed dramatically since my milk came in. He is happy between feedings, and now spitting up some milk here and there...so we know he is getting plenty. Oh, and all the mess has started too...like spitting up, then leaking out of the diaper, then poop explosions....yep all of them happened last night all in a row! I forgot how messy it gets! Breast milk everywhere! I know, TMI, but its the truth. If you are reading this and don't have children, sorry!

Gavin has been very interested in Austin's nursing, and he calls him "The NURSING MAN!" HAHAHA its so funny, we have no idea where he got that, but its so true! He is the nursing man for sure. Gavin giggles every time he says it too. So funny. Gavin also still says he has a baby in his tummy...and its not big enough to come out yet. I guess we told him that for so long, that he now thinks he has one too. The kisses and "nose-kisses" for baby Austin are endless...he needs to kiss him each and every time he sees him. It melts my heart.

I knew the day would come when I would feel guilt for needing to give baby A so much attention, and that day is here. I think I feel so bad because Gavin is just so darn sweet and understanding, and I never thought a 2 yr old would behave so "maturely" with a new sibling! It is just so sweet, and every time I need to leave to go feed baby or sleep, Gavin always gives me a hug and kiss and never acts out...he is so good! I feel like we have been saying a lot of "No, don't do that" or "No, don't get too close" a lot to him, and we both hate always telling Gavin what he should not be doing. We need to work on this, as he is never meaning to cause harm. I am hoping for more sleep soon, which means more energy to spend time with Gavin...I miss him. If there was ONE slightly good thing that came out of being on bedrest for so long, it was probably getting Gavin to detach from me a little. Meals, bath, bedtime, and dressing all had to be done by Daddy or Grandma...and this allowed Gavin to detach a little from me. This is probably why he is doing so well sharing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment