Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Stupid dairy!

Poor little Austin. I had a gut feeling that dairy may be an issue with him, but we had to learn the hard way.

The past 2 days he has been constipated. He tries so hard to go potty, but can't get it out. Up all night crying and in pain. To add on to that, he spits up (projectile) every time he pushes so hard...and he cries in pain. So hard to see him in pain.

Then to add on to a baby in pain, our furnace broke last night...and it was pretty cold! Thank GOD Derek is a genius, and was able to fix it...he was up until about 3am, but he finally got it to work....we are so lucky that he takes such great care of us.

I took Austin into the doctor first thing this morning. After doing a rectal exam, he pooped...and felt better. But to be safe, she ordered him to have an ultrasound of his belly to rule out any big stuff.

US showed that he had a lot of gas pockets, but no intussusception or pyloric stenosis, the big bad stuff. We were so thankful. But he is still trying so hard to go to the bathroom...and has so much gas/vomiting. Doctor thinks that it is most likely a milk protein intolerance, just like Gavin had. I had a feeling. I just feel so bad that I have been eating dairy...I feel like I should have just cut it out before I had him...:(

So today is day #1 with no dairy. Its no big deal for me, I just hope it gets out of my system asap so he can feel better.

On the positive side, he has gained some good weight:) 8lbs 4oz today. He passed his birth weight, so we know he is getting enough....I just hope all that weight was not poop!

We go back to see doctor tomorrow morning, to check on his issue.

I am so tired, so is baby. Hoping for some sleep tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Austin...and Mommy! Ugh...so sorry you have to go through this again, Michele. Hope he gets feeling better very soon and you both get some sleep. If you guys aren't up for company on Friday, we will totally understand. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete