Friday, May 21, 2010

9 Month Check-Up


Today Gavin had his 9 month check-up, and everything went very well. It was at 2pm, Right when he needed to nap, so I ended up having to wake him up...NEVER fun to wake a sleeping Gavin! He was a little grumpy at first, but as soon as he saw that I brought a snack, he was fine! Haha go figure!

We saw a new doctor, Dr Singh, because Gavin's primary doctor is on maternity leave. Dr Singh was VERY nice and very experienced. He took the time to read up on Gav's history, and came in knowing everything from birth on up...it is not a lot to know, but it is still nice not having to explain the milk protein allergy from start.

We talked about the possibility of introducing dairy to my diet to see if Gavin has outgrown the intolerance yet. I am still not sure if I want to do this, as everything is going so well. I guess we will see...Cheese pizza does sound so good right now! Hopefully he does not have a bad reaction, as most babies outgrow it by about 9-12 months.

Dr. Singh also ordered a CBC (complete blood count) to check his blood levels. It is routine at this age, and I also was a little concerned about the bruises on his lower legs. His CBC came back completely normal, some of the levels even a little high, which is just perfect! (this proves that my breast milk is all he needs, and he does not need extra iron).

Sr. Singh said that Gav is right where he needs to be, and doing just great! I love to hear this:)

Here are the 9mo stats:

weight-19.8lbs (27th percentile)
height-29.5in (85th percentile)
head circ-46.3 (76th percentile)

I was a little bit shocked that he was not over 20 pounds...he feels SO heavy to me! Haha! Dr. Singh said that this is about the age where breastfed babies start to thin out as they are on the move and not requiring as much milk...but by no means do I think that G is "thinning out" ! ! !

Here is what Gavin is up to:

-Sits completely unsupported.

-Stands while holding on to furniture, lean forward, bends, rolls, and stands on his own for a few seconds. Craws EVERYWHERE.

-Picks up very small objects, transfers from each hand, and everything ends up in mouth. Gav has some GREAT gross and fine motor skills!

-Says Dadadadada...not on command, but babbles it all the time. Also babbles Babababa. Sometimes he will wave Bye-Bye.

-Loves peek-a-boo. Sometimes he really gets scared though, and startles easy...he gets this from me!

-Crawls toward me when he feels like I will leave him or is uncomfortable with others. Definitely separation anxiety when he is away from me.

-Eats table foods, mostly everything we eat. It is a great way for us to eat healthier, because I want him to be healthy!

-Drinks water from a sippy cup with meals. He holds it on his own now, this makes him look SO big!

-Loves to chase balls around the house...and Arnold. He LOVES animals.

-Loves to listen to music, and loves to be sung to.

1 comment: