Wednesday, February 16, 2011

18 Month Doctor Visit

Today we went to Gavin's 18mo appointment at the doctor. We saw a new doctor, Dr. Yen. We are now Kaiser Permanente members, so this is our new medical home. Both Gavin and I will be going here, and ONLY here. (It is a HMO system, they have their own hospitals and medical offices) Dr. Yen was very nice and good with Gavin. She has two young daughters, so she is very understanding.

Dr. Yen is also OK with Gavin's delayed vaccination schedule, which I was nervous about. (Some MD's do not agree with delaying, some do...just depends) We decided to go ahead with his next scheduled vaccine (HIB) and we will continue to wait until 24mo to start the MMR. I also made it clear that we will be declining Influenza and Hep A, and we can revisit these in a few years when Gavin is older. She agrees that this was completely fine, and these 2 are not ones she is concerned with. She informed me that this specific clinic has the highest rate of NON-vaccinated children. Wow, this was kinda scary to hear! Although we are delaying vaccines, Gavin will eventually get most of them (The most important ones-from a public health safety standpoint) and I believe in each and every one. Vaccines are there to protect our children AND the safety of other children. I am not sure how I feel about all of this, it makes me very worried for Gavin and the future years. I still am in shock that so many people do not vaccinate their children at ALL!

On to the fun stuff. Gavin's stats:
Weight: 25.2 pounds (40%)
Height: 33.3 inches (80%)
Head Circ: 48.3 cm (65%)

Gavin did such a great job while being checked out by Dr. Yen. He just sat on my lap and let her look in his ears, in his eyes, and mouth. When she was done he said "More!!!" HAHA. Then he let her assess his body and was very cooperative.

We only talked about 2 things. The first was peanuts. Since Gavin had the cow milk protein issue when he was younger, we knew we would wait to introduce peanuts. The Academy of Pediatrics says two years old, so we thought that was a good age. But Dr. Yen says three years old. She says she (And many of her colleagues) recommend three years old. (From an allergy and choking standpoint) Since Gavin's first cousin Griffin has a severe peanut/tree nut allergy, we think we better be safe. (I learned that peanut oil to cook with is OK, from my peanut allergy expert sister!) So no nuts until three years! We will do our best to stick to this, but seeing the way Gavin eats, I fear he may be eating a friends PB&J sooner than we hope;)

The next this we talked about was vitamins. Gavin eats Gummy Vites every day (One a day) and they are not recommended until 2 years old (Choking). Dr. Yen seemed surprised that he ate these, and asked if he did OK with them...meaning did he chew them enough and not choke. HAHA she does not know Gavin yet! He would eat a fist full of gummy's and not choke! (I did not admit that we don't even really cut his food up anymore!)

The last part of the day was the vaccine. There is a separate little room for this, and now I know why all the older kids give this door a nasty glance when they walk in! We sat down, and I pulled down G's pants for the shot. One quick shot in the thigh and we were done. The nurse knows I am a pediatric nurse (stupid chart) and told me I could do it if I wanted. HAHA lady! Not sure if she has gone insane, but no thanks! Not if I don't have to! Gavin's lip quivered for a few seconds and then BAM. Big old scream. His poor little face was so sad, like he was completely violated. He was so confused to why one minute he was happy, and the next he was stabbed in the leg. Poor boy!

It sure was nice to have Grandma Podie there with us! Grandma helped keep him occupied and happy while we were there, and always makes G feel better:) Thanks Gma!

We left the office and headed for the park and then the store to pick up some stuff....including a little toy to make G feel better (As if we need more toys here).

Next appointment at TWO YEARS OLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment