Wednesday, March 3, 2010

First Night ALONE!

Tonight is going to be the first night that G and I are alone! Derek had to go to southern California for a business trip, so its just us! I have been dreading these next few days without Derek!

Derek is extremely hands on with Gavin and all of his care. He has been from the moment Gavin was born. I will never forget after he was born and they took him to the nursery to clean him up. I was adamant that Derek go with him because I did not want him out of our sight. Derek went and came back with him all clean and bundled up in a warm blanket. The smile on Derek's face was priceless. He was a beaming new father, and he had just helped take care of his son for the first time. He has been a very involved father ever ever since. He takes amazing care of Gavin all the time. He is patient. He changes diapers, even explosive ones. He feeds, bathes, dresses, and cleans up after the G man. He takes Gavin at 4am after I feed him and he plays with him until Gavin gets tired again for a nap---all so I can sleep in a little more. He is just great with his son. He comes with us to ALL of G's doctor appointments. Even though I am home with G most of the time, I swear Derek knows him better than me!

At first when he told me he was going for a few days I thought oh no big deal, we will manage. Then I realized just how MUCH Derek does. I know I am a pretty lucky momma. Just the other day I overheard another mom at my moms group play-date tell everyone that her husband "has never changed a diaper or given the baby a bath." WHAT! Wow...I realized that I am pretty lucky to have Derek!

"Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a Dad."-Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment