Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Birth Plan=Healthy Baby

Every week I get a million emails from different pregnancy websites and I got one today about birth plans. I thought it might be interesting to put this together and see what it looks like. I know that birth plans rarely ever play out the exact way you wish and things always come up...I know this to be true because I see it all the time at work. BUT I thought it would be fun to at least document what I am looking for if everything goes well. The main points that I feel strongly about are:

-Wish to avoid C-Section unless medically necessary
-Wish to have 2 peripheral IV's placed in case one fails (Yes, I am a nurse)
-Wish to avoid any labor stimulating drugs such as pitocin
-Wish to labor as long as I can and when ready, to have an epidural (No "other" pain meds until the epidural)
-Did I say epidural? I mean this one. I hope no one tries to talk me out of this. I do not do pain very well
-No students, interns, or residents...Thankfully where I am delivering there are none because it is not a teaching hospital. (I obviously believe in teaching, I had to learn as a student once too...but not for this situation! This is why I have good insurance:)
-Wish to have the baby with me/us as much as possible, and have exams/assessments done in the room. If baby needs to leave, Derek or Grandma(s) will go with him at all times
-Wish to breastfeed exclusively...no formula or paci's

In the end I just wish to have a healthy baby and for this I will do whatever needs to be done...We can completely forget the "plan" if needed! Birth Plan is for healthy baby!

Labor

  • I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
  • I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
  • I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
  • I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
Monitoring
  • I do not want an internal monitor unless My baby has shown some sign of distress.
Labor Augmentation/Induction
  • I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.
  • If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
  • I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before Pitocin is administered.
Anesthesia/Pain Medication
  • I realize that many pain medications exist. I'll ask for them if I need them.
  • I would like to have a standard epidural.
Cesarean
  • Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
  • If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
  • I would like Derek-My husband present at all times if My baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
Episiotomy
  • I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for My baby's safety.
  • I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
  • If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.
Delivery
  • I would like Derek-My husband and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
  • I would like to have My baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
Immediately After Delivery
  • I would like to have Derek-My husband cut the cord.
  • I would like to hold My baby for at least 15 minutes before (he/she) is photographed, examined, etc.
  • I would like to have My baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
  • I plan to keep My baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of My baby can be done with My baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
  • If My baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, Derek-My husband or some other person I designate will accompany My baby at all times.
  • I would prefer to hold My baby rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
  • I would like to donate the umbilical cord blood if possible.
Postpartum
  • I would like a private room, if available.
  • Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
  • I would like to have My baby "room in" and be with me at all times.
Breastfeeding
  • I plan to breastfeed My baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
  • Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to My baby (including glucose water or plain water).
  • I do not want My baby to be given a pacifier.
  • I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.
Circumcision
  • I would like My baby to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital.
Other
  • My support person(s) is/are (support people) and I would like them to be present during labor and/or delivery.
  • I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the home stretch. I have 2 sons and BOY were their deliveries different. FIrst one took 8 hours the last one we barely made it to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete