Saturday, December 5, 2009

{Gavin 16 Weeks}

At the end of this week, Gavin will be 4 MONTHS OLD!!! Every week I always say that the time flies...and I still can't believe that he is 4 months old!

Gavin has been sleeping a LOT better since we have been back home (He was waking up every 2 hours while in Ohio...) We tried to let him cry for a few nights when he woke up, but he proved to be a very stubborn little man...crying for hours and hours...so we decided that we will just do what works for us, and still feed him in the middle of the night. He usually sleeps from 6p until 12 0r 1 (and eats) and then goes back down for 3 or 4 more hours. On a good night he will do these 3 or 4 hours without waking up...on a bad night he will wake every hour! We tried to skip the middle of the night feeding, and it worked one night, but that's it. So for now, this is what we will do...and hope and pray that he learns how to sleep better!

During the day we have also started a new schedule. We have been reading a lot from the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Weissbluth. He is a sleep expert in children, and has some pretty helpful information, and it is ALL research based. He takes a while to get to the point, but here is what we have taken from the book:

-Healthy sleep during the day=Healthy sleep at night
-Naps are crucial to a good night sleep
-Babies usually show signs of being tired about 2 hours after they last woke up
-During the time that they show these signs, we are to soothe Gavin and lay him down awake, but drowsy
-An earlier bedtime is sometimes better, allowing more time during the day for naps
-Naps during motion (cars, strollers) are NOT real naps, and disrupt night sleep

So, we have been following his advice, and poof! Gavin has been a pretty HAPPY CHILD! The past 3 days there has been very minimal fussing and lots of naps. Most of his naps only last 30-40 minutes, but its better than nothing! It is all making sense now...and could explain his previously fussy times in the past...he was just tired(And needed a real nap in his BED!)

So far, so good. I think one of the big reasons that I am pretty serious about this schedule/sleep issue is because I go back to work in 2 weeks and need to get some sleep in order to do my job! I will have children's lives in my hands, and I need to be focused to take good care of them. I want to be able to have a somewhat clear mind so that I can focus 100% of myself to these sick kids...I know it will be pretty hard, but I can do it. The hardest part will be leaving G for such long periods...:(

BUT he will be in the best of hands...His Grandma Dayle's and his Daddy's:) Grandma already takes SUCH great and amazing care of him, and would do anything for him. This is the biggest reason that I am able to go back to work. We are so thankful for her, and Gavin is a pretty lucky boy!

This weekend we plan to go get our Christmas tree, and decorate the house! I am so excited for Gavin's first Christmas, and can't wait to celebrate it as a family:)




No comments:

Post a Comment