Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4 Nights, GO GAVIN!

For the past 4 nights Gavin has been sleeping all the way through the night! Gavin has always had the same bedtime, 7pm. For the past 6 or so months, Gavin would wake up anytime between 3 and 5am and he would nurse...most of the time he would go back to sleep until about 6am. This is what we did, it worked for us (I was very tired because I would have trouble falling back asleep after he would get up), and I knew it would end eventually. I kept getting the advice that I needed to just let him cry it out when he would wake up to nurse...but when we tried that, he would just cry for hours...and never go back to sleep. It worked, and although I was tired, it just did not feel right to let him cry for hours. So that was a very short attempt at letting him cry it out, and we went back to doing what worked for us...and now, Gavin is sleeping all the way through the night! 7pm to 6am, that is when he sleeps:) I nurse him right before he goes to bed, lay him in his crib, enjoy my evening with Derek/watch TV/drink wine, and then I go to bed. When G wakes up at 6am I nurse him and he is ready to start his day. It is just perfect.

I was just talking with a friend about our babies and their sleep habits...and we were laughing about how everyone is always talking about babies/kids sleeping habits. When does your baby go to sleep. How long does your baby sleep. DO you nurse to sleep. Do you sleep with your baby? Blah, Blah , BLAH! I never knew that sleeping habits would consume all of our lives! You do what works for you. And if it does not work, then you will figure out a solution. It may take a long time, but you just do it. If I had one piece of advice for a new mom it would be to ignore all the advice you get! God made you a mom for a reason, and you have your own motherly instincts. You will do whatever works for you, and you should not worry about what everyone else is doing. Every baby is different. And every parent is different. As long as you have your babies best interest at heart, then you are doing the right thing. Period.

Now I am off to enjoy some blog time and watch TV with the hubby. Oh, and maybe have some cookies too!

3 comments:

  1. So funny we are both writing about sleep! Go Gavin is right! :) I'm so happy you guys are all getting a good nights sleep! Crossing my fingers that he keeps going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...great job Gavin!!! How wonderful for all 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Gavin I knew you could do it. Hopefully you will learn to sleep until 8:00 just like your Grandma. Love you and miss you.
    GMA

    ReplyDelete