Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day one, No more paci

Derek and I have been so proud of Gavin lately with his potty training. It seriously took him less than a week before he was accident free, and now he prefers no help at all! He will stop whatever we are doing and say "Davin be right back! Stay here!" and he will run to the bathroom, and do everything by himself. He pulls down pants, goes potty, dumps potty in the toilet, pulls up pants (always looks so cute!) and then washes hands. Then he comes to get us to "Show you Davin potty!" where he leads you into the bathroom to see whats in the potty. He is so proud, and we are too. His latest thing is staying dry during nap time. We don't tell him he needs to at all, we just say "wow, look the diaper is dry!" when it is. The last few days he wakes up from nap dry, and then tells us....pretty cute. He is still in a crib, so we will still do diapers at nap and bedtime....no hurry here at all! (I want him in that crib as long as he loves it....and he sure loves his bed)

The next thing we have to do is take the paci away. Derek and I decided that we might as well do it now, well before baby is here. (I also admitted it to Dr. Copeland because I knew she would tell me it was time to take it away!) The past few days I have told Gavin that "Paci's are for babies...and he does not need one anymore" and things like that. He becomes VERY nervous, and starts to cry even talking about it. It is so sad. Then he makes sure that it is still in his crib. So talking about it made things worse, so I stopped that. Then Gavin would say "Paci for baby, baby Noah...baby Noah need paci" and I asked him if we could mail them to baby Noah...Gavin said yes, so we started to put them in an envelope, and Gavin changed his mind REAL fast! OK, that idea was over.

Background Paci info. Gavin has had this thing since he was a newborn. He has only had it for bedtime since he was probably 6 months old. But he is severely attached to it. A really crazy obsession with this thing...like his little world would fall apart if taken away. So attached that it makes ME sweat thinking about taking it away!

So today when we go home from the museum, I snuck into his room, and snipped the end off the paci. I know, that sounds so mean! I figured if he could not suck it, then it would not be as appealing. I hid it under the bed. When it came time for nap, I let him "find" it as he does every day. (He throws it out of the crib in the morning and then forgets about it....so its usually under the crib) So he found it, and then discovered that it was broken. "Paci broken!" he told me. I told him that it broke when it fell, and that it was OK, he could still have it!

Gavin: "Throw paci away now, broken"
Me: OK, but that's the only one!
Gavin: "Go Target buy new one!"
Me: "No, Target does not have paci's, only hospitals have them for babies" (I know he had no idea what I was talking about, but he threw me off when he told me to go to Target! Smarty pants!)
Gavin: "Go grocery store buy new one!"
Me: "No, the grocery does not have any. Its OK, you can keep yours"
Gavin: "Hardware store?"
Me: (trying not to laugh) "No, the hardware store does not have them either. What does the hardware store have?"
Gavin: "Wood, hammer, FORK LIFT!"
Me: "Yes, they have forklifts there, not paci's"
Gavin: "Paci broken, it appens...show daddy, daddy fix" (Paci broken, it happens:)
Me: "Yes, we can show daddy tonight. He can't fix it, its broken. Its OK, it happens when its too old. Oh well!"

Then we read one more bedtime Truckery Rhyme and I put him in the bed. He rolled over and then went right to sleep. HOLY cow. I was expecting a complete freak out. It has only been 40 minutes, but so far so good! Now we will see what happens tonight!!! FINGERS CROSSED!

No comments:

Post a Comment