Monday, July 23, 2012

Baby A and cloth

I still can't believe how easy this has been, but that's probably the only reason I have stuck with doing cloth diapers so far.

I did a TON of research about this when pregnant both times...and ultimately it came down to the amount of time I would spend doing laundry...and I just did not want to be doing 4 or 5 extra loads a week...don't have the time or energy!

About 5 weeks ago we decided we would give it a try. I was not sure how it would go, so we thought it could not hurt to try. Austin has only been having a BM every few days, and doing cloth diapers with just pee-pee is so simple! Austin has had a little eczema rash on his diaper area (below his belly button, right where the wet diaper sits) and we thought it might be from the disposable diapers. So we tried cloth for a few days (minus overnight bedtime) and the rash completely goes away...in hours. So we tried Pampers, Huggies, and our original Kirkland Signature diapers, and they all cause this little eczema rash! So we continued with cloth as much as possible. What do you know? Rash gone.

A while back I bought some Fuzzibunz from a resale shop, and I have just been using the traditional cloth diapers(burp rags) as inserts. When they are wet, we throw them in a bucket of cool water (that sits on wash machine) and once a week I wash those diapers....its that easy! The Fuzzibuns stay dry mostly, but if they are damp, I hang them in the bathroom and let them dry...and then once a week or so I wash them too...of course if there is a #2, then I wash it all..but that's only happened a few times.

It really is so easy, and totally possible even though we are SUPER busy ALL the time. It takes no more time than regular diapers. Of course, there are all the health benefits of doing cloth (no chemicals on the skin) and we have a little less dent on the landfill;)

I am still sure that I would never have done this when he was so young and had 5-10 BM's a day!!! That was not worth the clean up time for me. We will see how it goes, so far so good!

There is no denying that a baby in cloth diapers is so cute too:)


No comments:

Post a Comment