Friday, July 10, 2009

34 Weeks!!!

I feel so good to be writing the number 34!!! It has been a pretty long month and I am so thankful that everything is still perfectly fine.

I am SO excited that in only 3 weeks Mom will be here!!! I am just so excited...and when she gets here I will be 37 weeks...and I am hoping I will feel a little more comfortable moving around more. At this point I am so used to these regular contractions, I am sure another month will just make me more used to them. I just hope I am able to tell when they are really causing me to go into labor! (I am sure I will!)

Contractions still the same...I have been taking the medicine about once every 24 hours. The longer I wait in between the medicine, the more effective it is to control the contractions. So that's how it has been. I wanted to be completely off of it, but I am just miserable with regular contractions after a day, and I start to go crazy...and there is no need for that! I read this today and it made me feel so good... "If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies." (From Babycenter.com) Ahh, reading this makes me so much more relaxed:)

Had an appointment today with Dr. Jaki, and pretty much all is still the same. I am up 2 pounds again this week...yikes, I am really putting on the weight now! Then Dr. Jaki listened to the heartbeat and all sounded perfect. When she measured my belly it was 37cm, bigger than expected at this point:) I am now officially 1cm dilated, which at first freaked me out, but then I realized that its OK, lots of women stay 1cm dilated for weeks and weeks. So I am trying not to let that change upset me too much. Trying. Then at the end I did another contraction stress test, where they measure the baby's heartbeat in response to the contractions. Another PASS! The regular contractions (I had one every 3 minutes) had no effect on little ones heart rate:) So all in all it was a good appointment. I asked Dr. Jaki what she thought about the odds of me staying pregnant for another 3 weeks (That's when Mom comes:) and she said maybe about 50/50...Sheesh not the best! So I will do my best, and stay put on my rear end...

This past week has been pretty uneventful...I have had a few visitors from work and they brought their babies...so cute! I was in heaven holding my friend Laura's 5 week old baby Nicolas:)

Other than that I have just been doing the usual...TV, movies, lunch almost every day with Dayle, books, facebook, organizing the office(a task I can do while sitting). Oh, and of course a lot of phone talking:) All I can say is I am so thankful that Dayle comes over to help out with everything around the house...it is so nice for Derek to be able to come home from work and not have to worry about that stuff. I am not sure if I have mentioned, but I really think one of the hardest aspects of bedrest is thinking of all of the stuff I need/could be doing, and not being able to do it. Cleaning/cooking/laundry/shopping....Its hard not being able to do these things!

Baby Development This Week:
Baby is now around 4 and 3/4 pounds (size of a cantaloupe:) and 18 inches. He is still putting on his baby fat and preparing for the outside world. This picture shows exactly the position of his legs...except for his little legs must be longer because I swear they are all the way up to my lungs!!!



***Prayer request
A friend of mine from work who had a baby a few months ago just found out that her baby is sick...and will need to be in the hospital for possibly a long time...I have been sick over the news, but I know that all I can do is pray...so if you feel led, please pray for her and her little one...They really need the prayers.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for both babies, Michele!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just linked over from MckMama's prayer discussion. I am so sorry you are already in pre-term labor. I'll pray that things go smoothly and this little babe will stay in for a few more weeks... at least.

    Also praying for your friend's little one. We know how hard it is to know your baby need transplanted. Our little guy needs a new heart. It's scary, emotional and nothing can prepare you for it.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came from Blog Frog also - I started reading blogs when my daughter, who was living with me at the time, was having pre-term contrations at 24 weeks, she was put on bedrest immediately, and they discussed doing a cerclage but decided against it - she stayed on bedrest until she delivered at 33 weeks 4 days - and my grandson was born a very healthy little 5 lb 6 oz handsome little man - he was breathing fine when born, just put on a little supplemental oxygen throught the cannula's in his nose from about 12 hours - and he was only on an iv for 24 hours - and then started on his bottle - he was in the NICU for 14 days - just learning to breathe, suck and swallow all at the same time - and to gain weight - he remained the same for 4 days in a row, just as he was about to be discharged, so instead of coming home at 10 days he had to gain some and came home after 14 days.... But he's 8 months old now - weighs 20 lbs and is completely caught up as far as development - you wouldn't know he was a preemie!! Hope this helps make you feel better, but hang in there for another 3 weeks til your mom can be there with you - as the mom/grandma I know how important that was!!! Good luck and you have my prayers!

    ReplyDelete