Wednesday, April 4, 2012

RIP Arnold 1998-2012

One day, when I was 14, I was at my Grandma's house playing outside. I heard a little kitty crying, and knew I had to find him. I searched the neighbors yard, and I found a little kitty inside a big box....with a really tall glass of water that he could not even reach. He was the size of my palm, and was just crying so much. I grabbed him out of there, and told the lady who lived at the house that I was taking him....a big box was no place for a little kitty, and he needed milk. She told me that his mom was hit by a car, and all the other kitty's died from starvation! She just let it happen, and I was furious with her! I took him in my arms, and ran back to Grandma's house. Thankfully, my parents let me keep him, and I promised to take care of him. We got kitty milk from the pet store, and I fed him with a medicine dropper every few hours...day and night. 

I still remember not wanting to go to school all day because then he would not get to eat...I thought about sneaking him in my backpack (yeah right) and then I thought about pretending I was sick...my parents totally would have caught onto that one! I remember sitting in Mrs. Keller's biology class, and worrying about him...and I even asked her if 8 hours was too long for a kitten to go without food...I was so worried!

Well, he grew bigger and bigger, and was such a sweet little kitty. I let Patrick name him, and he came up with Arnold. It was a cartoon at the time, and "Arnold" the cartoon character had a really big head...a football head...and thats what Arnold had! So it was Arnold, Arnie for short.

As a kitten he was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia, and the vet said he would not survive. He got sick, and we thought he was going to pass away, but he did not! He lived right through it, and did just fine. 

He was kind of a scary kitty at times....he liked to play, but he also would hiss at you if you pet him when he did not want to be pet...some people were scared of him, but I never was. You just needed to know when he was in the mood to be pet:) He loved to chase dustballs, toys, and hairballs. He also loved to take out his poop from his litterbox and play with that...it was gross, but it was Arnie. We would come home and find "poopballs" in the house, and he would just stare at us and then run and hide. Sometimes he would play "freaky kitty" where he would just run in all directions and act a little crazy...and he knew we thought it was so funny:)  He was also a great kitty for any unwanted guests. He once caught the little mouse that was living in our apartment...and he placed it at the foot of my bed....thanks Arnie!

Arnie lived in 5 different homes, and 2 different states. He brought a lot of joy into our lives, and was such a sweet cat with Gavin. He never once hurt him (too bad) and always let him "play" with him. They both had a TON of fun playing with cat toys....Gavin would RUN as fast as he could through the house, and Arnie would chase the toys. It was so cute...When I watch the video I cry.

Gavin loved his first pet very much. EVERY single week, he helped clean his letterbox, and every day he helped feed him his "special food." Gavin did the scooping and mixing, every day. If we did it without him? He was very upset....Arnie knew who fed him for sure!

I am so thankful that I was able to be Arnie's momma throughout his life, and so thankful that my family took such great care of him while I was in college. I am also thankful that Erica was able to keep him for a few years while I moved to California...Arnie had a great family, all of them. I am most thankful for Arnie's daddy, Derek. When Arnie moved here, Derek took over and took such great care of him. He brushed him EVERY night, and then let Arnie sleep on his chest EVERY night. When we had children, Derek never forgot about Arnie (like I sometimes did), and still made sure that he was happy. He was so great to him...and I am forever thankful. Arnold and Derek had a special bond, one that Arnold had with no one else. When Arnold went to heaven, Derek came home and made a little slideshow of Arnie's life...so sweet. Broke my heart yet again. 

Arnold had lots of health issues, but this last issue was the one that made his life no longer enjoyable. He was not his usual self, and was no longer happy. We knew that it was his time to go to kitty heaven. I found him when he was born, and I held him when he went to heaven...I will always have a special place in my heart for my Arnold. We will miss you Arnie Blarney! Have fun up in heaven....eating all the food you want, and chasing dustballs:) We know that Grandma DB will spoil you rotten up there. Rest in Peace kitty kitty.


No comments:

Post a Comment