Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Doc-Da"

This is how Gavin says doctor. It is pretty cute! Today was ALL about doctors.

Little history. For the past 3 days Gavin has had a pretty bad eczema flare up. It was all over his arms and then stomach and side. Derek and I had no idea what it was from....so many choices as the child eats everything. We were sure it could not be food, but could it?

So today we went to the pediatrician to see what she thought. She said it was just eczema, and that we should go see the allergist to be sure. She was able to get us in to the pediatric allergist late this afternoon too! So after G's nap, we headed to the next doctor. 

I really liked the allergist. She was very nice, GREAT with Gavin, and very knowledgeable. We talked a lot, and then decided to test Gavin for some allergies. He got his skin pricked with 30 different allergens. (It was pretty quick, and he only cried for a second) I promised him some candy afterwards....he has no idea what that meant, but as soon as he saw the Nerds package, he knew! (Thanks GRANDMA Podie for buying Gavin a huge bag of Nerds while you were here!) He ate his nerds, one at a time, and totally forgot about the skin pricks. We waited for them to "react" and then saw the doctor again to go over the results. 

They were NEGATIVE!!!!! Gavin was not allergic to anything!!! Thank God, I was so thankful. We discussed the treatment plan for his eczema for now, and got some cream to put on after his bath. We talked all about allergies and a lot about Gavin's diet. One thing she mentioned is that it sounded like Gavin eats a LOT of fruit. Fresh AND dried. She said fruit is wonderful, but some of the fruits he eats a lot of can sometimes be aggravating to the skin. (Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries) So she mentioned that we may want to only eat berries in moderation. HAHA, she does not know that Gavin does not really understand moderation (I know, that's my job;)

We ended the appointment with her giving me a TON of information on everything, and a lot of websites I can look at. I told her that I was involved with some research studies at work, and research is very interesting to me. She gave me lots of articles....and I can't wait to read up on them:)

Overall, it was a GREAT day. Not only was Gavin an absolute angel at the doctors office ALL day, but he does not have any allergies. For this we are so thankful! We are also thankful that we now have Kaiser, and this appointment was only a co-pay!!!

You never know, he may love medicine one day. One of his favorite things to do is listen to my stomach, heart, and lungs with my stethoscope. We think he makes a great "Doc-Da!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment